Chances are the global pandemic has probably thrown a giant wrench in your everyday routine. Gym memberships have been put on hold, wax appointments cancelled, and working remotely has switched from a dream to a reality. While the first few days of working from home may seem blissful, it’s normal to go to a little stir crazy after awhile. If the thought of taking a conference call from the living room while in your robe is making you more irritable than excited, here are my tips to make working from home manageable and productive.
- Sit at a desk or table It’s easy to fall into the trap of waking up, grabbing your laptop, and plopping right back into bed. Sitting at a table will increase your productivity and make you take your work more seriously. You don’t want to do your work in the same place you binge watch The Handmaid’s Tale.
- Shower and Change Your Clothes We’ve all been told this time and time again, dressing for success sets you up for success. When you’re in sweatpants and a messy bun you’re way less productive. You don’t have to put your best blazer on, but even a pair of jeans and a cute sweater is enough to make you feel put together and ready to bang out some work.
- Listen to a Podcast If you’re someone who normally thrives at work when taking breaks and talking to coworkers, working remotely probably hasn’t been easy for you. Listening to a podcast while you work may help you to clear out the silence and get your head in a more conversational state of mind.
- Set Boundaries It’s all too easy to make working from home an opportunity to not work at all. While I’m sure we could all use a vacation, this isn’t a PTO day. If you have friends or family demanding your attention don’t be afraid to remind them that you’re at work and need time to finish your tasks before tending to them.
- Go Outside It’s normal to go a little crazy when you’re cooped up inside all day. Make time to go outside and get fresh air. Take phone calls outside or go for a walk during your breaks. It may even be nice to take a drive around the neighborhood (and stop at Starbucks on the way back home)!
Social distancing isn’t easy but the outcome will be worth it! I hope these tips help you on your working from home journey. Let me know in the comments how you successfully work from home!